My bucket list races: an ongoing list of must-do destination races
1. Around the Bay Road Race - 30km bayrace.com
It takes place every March in Hamilton, ON and it is the oldest road race on the continent, first run in 1894 (3 years before Boston). Training for this race is challenging as the long runs take place through the cold winter months and the last 10km of the race is a series of rolling hills and a famous long up-hill climb towards the end of the race
2. Hibiscus Half Marathon tropicaltriplecrown.com
Honolulu, Hawaii Memorial Day Weekend. Out and back course from Kapiolani Park towards the iconic Diamond Head. 21.1km of Beautiful Hawaiian Running.
3. Grand Island Trail 1/2 Marathon greatlakesendurance.com
Grand Island Township off the coast of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. ½ Marathon trail along beaches and through forests with beautiful views of crystal blue water.
4. Charlevoix ½ Marathon charlevoixmarathon.com
Late June. Charlevoix Michigan. Running Magazine listed this as one of the “best small town marathons “ in the US.
5. Disney’s Princess ½ Marathon and 10km Glass Slipper Challenge rundisney.com
Late February in WDW Florida. All the excitement of a RunDisney event with princess theming.
6. Rock n Roll Marathon Series runrocknroll.com
30 cities to choose from. Fantastic venues, entertainment and race courses. Various race dates, definitely a fun experience I’m sure.
Mid October, this race crosses the international border twice!
8. United Airlines NYC Half nyrr.org
Mid March, this race starts in Brooklyn and heads to Times Square before finishing in the famous Central Park.
9. Southern Fried Half Marathon teampages.com
Nags Head, NC. Mid November, this race ends with the promise of southern fried sweet taters and a beautiful coastal course.
10. Toronto Women’s Half Marathon towomensruns.com
Late May, Toronto, ON. This year it's on Toronto Island
11. Divas Half Marathon - Toronto runlikeadiva.com
Mid June, part of the Diva series.
12. Queen Bee Women’s Half Marathon queenbeehalf.com
Cincinnati, Ohio. Mid October, plenty of pampering and a great women’s event.
13. Zooma Race Series zoomarun.com
Women’s only boutique races in beautiful locations with a full weekend of women’s events.
14. Women Rock monsterrunseries.com
Part of the monster run series, in St. Paul MN. Late August or September in Chicago, IL.
15. Ottawa Scotiabank ½ Marathon runottawa.ca
A beautiful late May race through our nation’s capital.